Thursday, December 20, 2012

And the fa la la'ing continues...

As hard as it is to believe that Christmas is upon in us in just 5 days, I feel a certain amount of peace tonight as I sit down to write.
The gifts are wrapped and organized, Charlotte's last day at school for a bit was today, and my mom arrived this afternoon.
The holidays have really been in force for this entire month, but I feel that starting today it's like, game on Christmas.
 
 For the rest of the month we'll be surrounding ourselves with family and absorbing all the goodness, craziness and love that comes with that.
decorations
Two of my favorite ornaments on our tree...a deer with only one mangled ear left that was mine as a child, and handmade iceskates by my great-grandmother.
 
*******
Since we last checked in...more December fun...
 
A Christmas concert
concert 1
Lily
Why Lily, what a lovely dress you are wearing this evening!
 
*******
 
Elf on the Shelf fun...including the 25 minute movie (thanks for the tip Miss Rothie!)
_MG_5686
Sometimes I'm amazed kids buy this whole thing...I mean, is he not a bit creepy?!
 
*******
Annual Girlfriend Gift Exchange...I think it's been going on 10 years now? Including the Lightning Round. And goodness knows you don't mess with the Lightning Round.
gift exchange
IMG_5695
 
*******
Tree gazing.
gracie
_MG_5706
 
*******
More cookie time...
cookies
_MG_5713
 
*******
 
_MG_5683
_MG_5742
 
Both my girls at one month...do you think they look like sisters?!
one month- girls
 
*******
 
With all this fa la la'ing and merriment making, it has to be noted that it hasn't come without a heavy heart at the news from Newtown, Conneticuit. The day of the shootings I was plastered to my television, tears streaming, imagining the parents of the kiddos kissing them goodbye for the day...never knowing in their worst nightmares how much their worlds would change that day. It is too much. It hurts too much to imagine...and yet, I think we have all tried to put ourselves in their position and share some of the burden. To somehow, across the miles help their hurting hearts by knowing that so many people are lifting them up. I truly have no words, so I will end with a quote from someone much wiser than me:
 
"When the world feels too loud, we must be quiet. When the world feels too violent, we must be peaceful. When the world seems evil, we must be good."
 
Praying for peace this holiday season.

No comments: