Thursday, April 11, 2013

Moments.

Okay. So can I be honest with you?
This week has had it's fair share of those moments.
You know what I'm talking about when I say those moments, don't you?

Those moments that leave you feeling a bit overwhelmed with life.
Whining.
Melt downs. (And over such things as the fact that I'm not twirling and spinning properly.)
Hectic mornings. (No matter how hard I try to be organized the night before. I mean, I even got the coffee ready for goodness sakes?)
Hair that is both shedding and growing at incredible rates and needs to be chopped and colored SO badly.
Numerous attempts at convincing an almost 3 year old to eat.
Bribes.
Underlying worry about Madeleine's heart issue.
Wanting to run. Needing to run. Not making time for runs.
More melt downs.

It was just mid-week and I was feeling spent.

The thing is...parenting is hard. There's just no denying that fact. For as much as we love our kids with ever fiber of our being, they can certainly make life challenging.


 

I'm reading "Carry On Warrier: Thoughts on Life Unarmed" by my guru Glennon Doyle Melton and one thing she writes about that has really resonated this week with me is questioning why we all have this idea that we need to feel like and portray that we are enjoying every single moment of parenthood.
Because honestly, who enjoys melt downs??

Instead, she writes, we should be satisfied and happy with a few special moments a day. If we can do that, we are a success. We cannot expect that it is pure bliss 24 hours a day.


 
 
Wouldn't you know...Wednesday night I had what may have been one of my most favorite moments to date as a mama to Charlotte. We were going through our nighttime routines, the stories were over, lights were out, and we were singing a few songs. She does this hilarious thing where she closes her eyes, sways her head back and forth and sings in a vibrato voice as if it is the performance of her lifetime. It's always funny, but for some reason...that night, it was the funniest. We laid belly laughing for a good 15 minutes....like the kind of laughing you do when you get the giggles with your girlfriends, tears streaming, and there is nothing in the world that could stop the laughter.
It was magical.
 
So, yeah. There have been a lot of those moments. But there have also been a lot of THOSE moments...and they make it all worth it.
 
xoxo


No comments: