Sunday, November 2, 2008

One of my favorite sounds...

Concert Pitch A.

Concert pitch A440 (A above middle C vibrating at 440 times per second) has been universally accepted as the pitch to which all instruments should be tuned. It ensures that when instruments play together, they will all be in tune with one another.

This is the sound that starts pretty much all classical music concerts. The first chair violinist typically comes out, and all instruments in order start playing this note, on one key signature or another. I love the sound of it. So familiar, yet so exciting. It marks the beginning of another concert. Tonight as I sat on stage at our concert, waiting for George to come out to conduct us...listening to the orchestra tune up together to this note, I realized how happy that simple sound makes me.
It was a great concert. I think Bach would have been proud.

1 comment:

The Moore Family said...

I would have been proud too! My amazing Court.