Thursday, June 12, 2008

BINGO!

Tonight was the monthly event that we (the SCCA Volunteers) put on at the Fred Hutch School- such fun! It never ceases to amaze me the strength and courage of the human spirit...and how necessary to healing laughter is. Our goal as volunteers is that we can, in some small way, help patients and families battling cancer have a "night off" and that we can bring them some of that laughter.

The children are always the ones who amaze me and touch me the most it seems. Tonight, there were these two most precious little girls who came who had been raised in Egypt! People literally come here from all over the world for treatment. The little girls were there on their own (ages 10 and 6 I'm guessing) because their parents were at the hospital at a treatment session. They were the most well mannered, sweetest, most precious little girls you have ever seen...I wanted to scoop them up and hug them for hours!

Sadly though, I have to report on one of the most appauling scenes I have seen as well. It is no secret...at our Bingo night, everyone is going to be a winner. Everyone gets a prize, usually multiple prizes. Well, everyone had won atleast once except for the youngest little girl who I was just describing. Earlier when she first arrived she mentioned that the only thing she wanted was this little camera from the prize station. Note: this camera is probably about $10 from Bartells.

Well, there was an older lady at Bingo Night as well...a caregiver of another patient who basically had a stand off with the camera and this little girl! One of the other volunteers had even HIDDEN the camera playfully to save for the little girl....but this older lady went and picked it as her own prize!! A volunteer friend of mine asked her very nicely if she would mind giving the camera up for the little girl since she so desperately wanted it...and was crying the hugest alligator tears for it. And do you know what she said? No, she wanted it. NO? Seriously? WHO DOES THAT?! I was just completely baffled.

But...rest assured, my volunteer friend went and bought her that camera from Bartells after Bingo was over tonight. So, it does have a happy ending.

3 comments:

The Moore Family said...

You are so amazing my Court!!! I can't believe that ho-bag! Amazing how you could be at an event to lift spirits and you take that away from a little girl knowingly! Glad the little angel got her camera.

Michelle said...

That is probably the most absurd thing I have ever heard!? What a crazy beyotch!!! That is SO rude. Thank goodness you guys got that sweet little girl her camera after all...

Kris said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that crazy lady! That is sooo very rude.