Friday, June 13, 2008

I feel a bit ashamed...

Today when I learned that Tim Russert died I didn't realize who he was, and what exactly he meant to our country. We have been watching a tribute to him all night...he was the voice of politics that I feel I really could have connected to...and I feel ashamed that I didn't watch him while his talent was with us.

He asked the questions we wanted answers to, that many journalists wouldn't ask, all the while being the most gentlemanly person. And everyone has the abosolute BEST things to say about him!! I have been tearing up all night watching his tribute about the person he was. Honestly watching this show, makes him one of my hands down favorite newspeople. Some of my favorite quotes include: (sorry, I just typed them as quick as I could...I can't remember who said each of them)

-He adored his father Big Russ.

-"He appeared to be the father to his son that we all would be proud of. "

-"Always show up...always be prepared..always do your job" (quoting his father Big Russ)

"What a county!!" (Amazing...even when we don't understand all the decisions...to remember, WHAT A COUNTY WE HAVE! I love it!)

"He didn't preach....he just did his job," -Barbara Walters.

"He was the kind of guy you would want to sit down and watch a football game with and have a beer ..but then he's brilliant"

"All the good things you are hearing are actually true"

"Sharing of information....looking towards the team"

"A razor sharp intelliect"- Tom Brokaw

"Simple...I view Meet the Press as a National treasure, and I am a temporary custodian"

"Go Get 'em"

"Intelligent, persistent, fairminded journalist..."

"Everything you do...you can only hope that your children look at that and hope to be as true as you are to those words."

It seems that he was such a role model, a researcher, a family man... he helped the journalists know what was needed:
"He knew what the American people wanted to hear..and we have lost that now..."

I say a prayer for him, and for us, tonight.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Court - I LOVE this post! I have been a Tim Russert fan for years and was devasted when I found out last night during our father's day dinner that he had passed away on Friday. He was an amazing man in the politcal world and I will miss hearing his thoughts on the Today Show everymorning. If you haven't already, you should watch the interview that his son did this morning with Matt Lauer - it was amazing!

Michelle said...

I watched the tribute to him yesterday morning on the today show. WOW. I cried my eyes out! I was trying to get ready and I kept having to re-apply my make-up. I agree with you, what an incredible influence on our country & I had no idea! Every person he interviewed said he was the most professional person on camera and the hands down nicest guy all around. How incredibly sad...definitely an amazing man.